Thursday, February 15, 2007

Light Speed

DVR Users Skip Commercials, Right? Wrong - New York Times

I am sure there is truth to this article--for someone. But not in our house! The only time we let the commercials play during a prerecorded program is to get up and use the bathroom or clear the dishes. (Yes, we eat in front of the TV--doesn't every childless couple?) And the only time we watch something that isn't prerecorded on our DVR is...is...

OK, live sports (though sometimes we'll record it, go out to lunch or dinner or shopping, start watching an hour late, and finish on time). But otherwise, nothing. If I am aware of a commercial, it is because (a) it was on during a football game or tennis match, (b) I heard it while I was in the kitchen rinsing the dishes and loading them into the dishwasher, or (c) I sat and watched it while waiting for my viewing companion to return from the bathroom. You try watching Rome, Extras, Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters, How I Met Your Mother, Studio 60, House, Boston Legal, American Idol, The O.C., Real Time with Bill Maher, and Meet the Press--plus five episodes of The Young and the Restless--each week and still find time for commercials!

1 comment:

Michele said...

We purposefully start watching tv at leat 15 minutes late so that we can skip through commercials and still finish an episode (of whatever it is we're watching) within the hour it started.

I'll only watch commercials if watching live tv (happens on occasion) or if I've somehow seen/heard them before and they're entertaining (like the Man Law commercials during football games).

*Sigh* I miss football.