Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Let Freedom Reign!

TIMESSELECT CONTENT FREED | By HOLLY M. SANDERS | Business News | Financial | Business and Money

Putting all of the opinion columnists behind a for-pay firewall wasn't a mistake on the order of invading Iraq (the reference in my header above is to Bush's note on a napkin on hearing of the invasion's so-called success), but the New York Times certainly damaged its online presence by doing so. Let's face it, Maureen Dowd and Paul Krugman and Frank Rich are good, but worth paying $50 a year? The Times should be able to make enough from online ad revenue to avoid that kind of audience-limiting fee.

And it looks like they will. I'm sure Dowd and co. are thrilled to be on the verge of regaining their wider audience. The question is, will people come back? It's been a while since I laughed out loud at Dowd; will I and others like me get back in the habit? We'll know soon.

No comments: