Friday, January 02, 2004

On the Nose

Romancing the Tire Swing - What's up with that hokey Levitra ad? By Seth Stevenson

OK, this is an odd article to link to as my last post prior to my weeklong Maui excursion, but the commercial it discusses drove me crazy while I was home the past week. (Tells you a lot about how much time I wasted, doesn't it?) In short, the article asks: isn't showing a man throwing a football through a tire swing over and over after taking Levitra such an obvious explanation of what the product does that they may as well have said what it does in the ad? I'm not very easy to scandalize when it comes to sex talk, as many of you know, but this ad makes me more than a bit uncomfortable.

I don't think that's because the ad is too sexually overt. (They could have shown the actual use of the drug and I doubt I'd have batted an eye.) I think it's because the ad is bad. But it made me remember Levitra, so I guess it's working. Maybe in three decades I'll ask my doctor about it.

Have a splendid week free of my commentary, and I'll be back soon.

No comments: