Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Outrageous

State of the Union at Home

I planned to offer a full reaction to last night's State of the Union speech. I took notes and everything. But how can I say anything meaningful about a speech that lacked a shred of meaning? President Bush's speech was a sop to his base and a slap to the rest of us, as if to say, "I'll do exactly what I want to do, evidence be damned, and we'll just see if you can beat me." I think the editorial above brings home the fact that, in the shadow of his plans to render the deficit permanent through tax cuts and corporate giveaways, none of Bush's other proposals mean a thing.

Feel free to discuss the speech in the comments below. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who, with expectations as low as they could possibly be for this president, was still disappointed.

No comments: