Monday, September 22, 2003

Sorkin Stunner

I don't think I'm the only person who jumped off the couch in disbelief last night. Who would have predicted a fourth straight win for The West Wing ? I love the show, and I didn't think it stood a chance. Apparently, TV's top prizes don't belong in the hands of cable TV. There was a very real chance for both Best Drama and Best Comedy to go to HBO, with two nominees in each category. Maybe if only one had made it in each list, HBO could have walked out a winner.

For the record, I know that my dream list and reality had barely any correspondance--and it would have been even worse had I made picks in the supporting categories. Brad Garrett? Doris Roberts? Tyne Daly? I know Emmy skews old, but geriatric? Oh well--Entertainment Weekly did worse, picking exactly zero categories correctly. NBC and CBS should enjoy this while they can. After next year--when Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond will clear the way, along with Frasier --it'll get a lot tougher to find geezer fare to pick ahead of Curb Your Enthusiasm . And maybe, just maybe, The Sopranos or Six Feet Under can beat a Sorkin-less West Wing .

No comments: