Monday, March 01, 2004

Moratorium

If this site has been your source of news on the continuing gay marriage debate, my apologies. For my own sanity, this post will be the last one on the topic for a great long while.

Before I move on, allow me to explain. The last week of this national conversation has not been particularly enjoyable for me. "What can I do?" This has been the question rattling around my angry head, driving me to distraction. At last, I know the answer: Nothing.

OK, not quite nothing. But it's not up to me to fix this. Every time I think of some "original" thing that someone should be doing to help, I find that HRC or Freedom to Marry are on top of it. Someone is parrying every attack. I don't have to.

Beyond that kind fact of life, I've realized that my limited audience here deserves more than a daily screed on an issue that isn't nearly the topic of debate here that it is nationally. I've encouraged everyone I can to stand with me on this issue, and the results have been very good--thank you. If you're so inclined, your efforts in converting people you know to our side of this debate are appreciated more than I can say. You're the ones who can sway the next round of people and turn the tide against intolerance.

But it's time for me to move on--to evaluate other issues, to read good books, and to calm down. Thinking about threats to my own civil rights every day results only in navel-gazing and boiling blood, neither of which is healthy. Please, let me know if you convince your friends to change their position on this issue, or turn a voter away from Bush because they think he's trying to write discrimination into the Constitution. In the meantime, the best thing I can do as we move forward in this national debate is live my quiet, harmless, happy life and wait for people to realize that it's not going to bring an end to civilization.

No comments: