Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Rocket Man

Bill Cartwright

I've returned from California with tales to tell. One involves the flight back: I ended up sitting next to Bill Cartwright, the center for the Bulls on three of their championship teams in the '90s. He picks the Lakers to win it all this year and Kevin Garnett as the league MVP. I got to talk to him for about two hours of the flight back, and it made me sad that he's not coaching the Bulls anymore. But he said he hopes to coach again--this time with a team that has a few veterans on it.

I also saw the movie School of Rock on the way home. Besides being the perfect movie to fuse Jack Black's many talents, it was really funny and enjoyable, even if it seemed a bit tamer than I would have expected. I was really rooting for those kids, and those of you who know me know that's not the norm.

Soon I'll post a review of The Paradox of Choice and tell you all about the Super Audio CD versions of Bob Dylan's classic albums that arrived over the weekend--and the SACD player and new receiver I bought in order to make full use of them. Until then, take a look at Paul Krugman today, and think about this: if the goal of terrorists is to change the way we live and create an atmosphere of fear, haven't the actions of the Bush Administration indicated that the terrorists have won? When anyone who tells the truth is subject to attacks on their character--or being revealed as a CIA operative--isn't that just the sort of environment of fear the terrorists want for us?

No comments: