Friday, March 19, 2004

Recap

Taken for a Ride

Paul Krugman is particularly forceful this morning. Something important needs to happen soon; this nation needs a distraction from wars and elections.

My own distraction, a vacation to Austin, Texas, was awesome--though the most important moment of the trip now seems to be the moment the man in front of me on the plane started sneezing and coughing. Whatever he had, I now have it, too. And it ain't fun. (I thought being home sick would mean I'd at least get to finally catch the Ellen talk show, but President Bush has pre-empted her for his anniversary speech, driving me to my computer.)

The trip as whole was fun, however. We ate amazing food, including a superb meal at the Salt Lick Barbecue Restaurant, a breakfast of Dim Sum, real Mexican food, great Tex-Mex, and quite a few Krispy Kremes for good measure. Indeed, I consumed what may have been the last maple donut KK will ever make...we got it on Monday, and by Tuesday they had been discontinued. A great shame, as maple was my favorite.

We also found our way to a winery and a quaint old ice cream and candy shop in Fredericksburg, and a kayak trip on Town Lake made a phenomenal capstone to our visit. Carissa and Brandon were more than hospitable, and it's safe to say Brad and I both had a great time. We also saw the house our hosts are building, which made at least my head spin with jealousy. If you're from Illinois, you wouldn't believe the amount of house you can get for your money in Austin. Plus you get warm weather, no income tax, and a hip city with great independent music and book stores and plenty of culture. You do, however, have to live in the middle of Texas, suffer through hot summers, and deal with the level of service a state with no income tax can provide.

No comments: