Thursday, September 23, 2004

Good and Bad

Amazon.com: About Richard Nelson: At a Glance

The House couldn't resist, of course. Now it's up to the Senate, once again, to prevent Congress from taking the wildly inappropriate step of telling the courts, including the Supreme Court, that they can't hear cases about certain topics. Republicans could just propose an amendment that would make "under God" part of the Pledge; it would be a mockery of the intent of the document and the amendment process, but at least it would be within the bounds of the Constitution, and it would force people to have a serious debate about the place of religion in our society. I'm up for that debate, if a bit fearful that I'd be vastly outnumbered. If this bill becomes law, though, the Supreme Court will be in the odd position of ruling on its own power. It's been done before, of course, but Marbury v. Madison was an awful long time ago.

So let's focus on good news instead! The link at the top leads to my Amazon profile. Months ago, I declared my intent to rise through the ranks; today I can proclaim that I've achieved my highest degree of success yet. My rank is now 12,204, up from 345,000 in June. Moreover, some of my reviews are actually quite successful; the review for Elephant, for instance, is spotlighted, one of two out of 150 so designated. And, wonderfully enough, it's quite apparent to me now that this success has nothing to do with my asking you all for help in achieving this goal; a bloc of votes from a single IP address are less potent than a bunch of votes from different addresses and Amazon IDs. Which means this rank is the result of actual merit, not a desire to get ahead the easy way; good work, Amazon, for making it harder to game the system. Of course, I always appreciate positive feedback, in the form of votes, comments, or e-mails. And a single vote for a review you actually find helpful is not only appreciated but meaningful. I'm thinking cracking the top 10,000 would be a nice year-end goal. Top 1000? It's a fun thing to strive after, but it may require more effort than I'm willing to devote to such an endeavor.

4 comments:

Richard said...

Just know, Brian, that I'll remember that you were willing to take the time to do that, while Paul mocked me. And one day, when I have enough helpful votes, your may become a low enough percentage of my total that they suddenly count again. (Who knows? Maybe that's the real reason I've been jumping.) Speaking of wasting three hours, did you read my response to your tea comment?

Richard said...

In that case, wasting three hours is the least of your concerns...

Jonathan said...

Sad

Paul V. Allen said...

I'm glad you can't cheat the system. Now I don't feel like the time I took to mock you was wasted. Of course, I rarely do.