Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Land of Metaphor

Packers might be Super after all

I don't follow football too carefully--though a recent development at home has made me more inclined to watch than usual--but I know good writing when I see it, and this article from Dan O'Neill is the real deal. I especially love the line, "The Packers stumbled out of the gate like an Oliver Stone epic." Nothing like demanding that your readers are keeping up with the latest news rather than reaching for the same old shopworn cliches time and again.

For the record, I'm hoping this is the year Peyton Manning takes the Colts to the Super Bowl. Like any self-respecting gay man, however, I'm much more concerned with the February 27th Oscar telecast than any football game. And after seeing Kinsey over the weekend, I have to hope that it will take the big trophy--if only because it would honor the man who changed the way many Americans think about sex and sexuality and made it possible for someone like me to live the life I'm living rather than living a lie. It doesn't hurt that it's also a well-written, well-acted, thoughtful and funny movie. If you haven't already, go see it. There will be plenty of time to suffer through Christmas with the Kranks and the mightily-maligned Alexander on DVD later.

No comments: