Thursday, April 27, 2006

Touching

U.S. Senator Sam Brownback -- Marriage

I have news for you, Senator Brownback, you who feel so strongly that marriage is between a man and a woman: The right hand you shook three times yesterday with the titanium ring on it was the right hand of a gay man. The ring you were absent-mindedly staring at during your meeting with two of your constituents was a ring symbolizing a commitment between two men. And one day, I will wear it on my left hand, just like other legally-married people, whether you like it or not.

By the way, your hair is bizarrely perfect, but your Web site has issues: Why are the two hands in the picture symbolizing traditional marriage also right, rather than left, hands? Couldn't you find a stock photo of the proper hands?

P.S.: Tell Rick Santorum he looked like a dog-fucker packed into a tiny Senate elevator with all those men!

P.P.S.: Can the rest of you tell I had a great time in D.C.? I also--literally--bumped into Hillary Clinton, who bellowed the words "I have to go vote" into my ear as she tried to escape the constant clutch of questions that follows her, caught a glimpse of Joe Lieberman waiting for the underground train from his office to the Capitol, and met with Dick Durbin in his Minority Whip office just off the Senate floor. Oh, and met Wyoming Senator Craig Thomas, who I nearly asked whether he had seen Brokeback Mountain. I wonder what he would have said?

No comments: