Thursday, April 06, 2006

Good Gay Week

Shocking night on ‘American Idol’

I guess Mandisa has time to ponder her "lifestyle" now. It's a shame such a talented performer would be eliminated so early, but if someone had to go out of the consensus order, which would have sent Bucky and Ace home next, I'm glad it was Mandisa. Whether it was her anti-gay commentary or her general preachiness on-stage (her last spoken word on the show was, fittingly, Jesus), I believe she did this to herself.

In other good news, a soon-to-be presidential candidate, Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, called the "Marriage Protection Amendment" that is before the Senate this week a "mean-spirited attempt" to discriminate against gays and lesbians, and further stated that he now supports legalized gay marriage. While I don't think Feingold will emerge with the nomination, or that he has a chance of becoming president, he has earned my vote in the primary unless and until another Democrat stakes out the same position.

Indeed, even Wal-Mart has decided this week that gays are good for something. Despite pressure from the American Family Association, it refused to pull Brokeback Mountain from its stores. Better yet, the movie sold 1.4 million copies on its first day of release. (My copy is on its way from Amazon as I type this.)

As if that weren't enough, I'm hearing rumors that Kevin Bacon will appear in the finale of Will & Grace...

No comments: