Thursday, October 09, 2003

Done So Soon?

Google Search: "joey and rachel break up"

One of my visitors today arrived via the search above. It turns out that this site was the only one that a search for "joey and rachel break up" returned.

Yet it would appear that, only three episodes in, that's what has happened on Friends . I have no source, so this isn't spoiling, but I saw this coming and you've got to wonder, after watching Joey and Rachel fizzle out and head to bed separately, how long it will be before the writers bring back the Ross-Rachel plotline. They've only got 15 episodes left to put Emma in an unbroken home.

I thought tonight showed a great use of a guest star without all the promotional clowning you usually see on NBC. Granted, in spite of her roles in Christopher Guest films and as Stifler's mom, Jennifer Coolidge is hardly a household name. Still, it was nice to see a surprise on a show that, after ten years, has to really stretch to be surprising. And Chandler grabbing the phone to tell Amanda that he gets pedicures, providing multiple payoffs for a joke set up at the intro, was the kind of detail that allows the show to remain funny after all this time.

On a personal note, the waiting begins again for me. I've sent in my writing sample and submitted my references, following up on two strong interviews; someday soon I hope to hear back with positive news about the job I want more than any I've heard about this long summer and fall. Wish me luck.

No comments: