Monday, October 27, 2003

Worth the Wait

I just finished my first day at the AAD. (In fact, I'm still here as I type this because I go home to the internetless hotel when I finish typing.) What a great day! I learned about the benefits of my job, which are myriad and include, for some reason, discounts at Woodfield. When I got upstairs, I found even better news: my cubicle wasn't a cubicle.

It was an office! Complete with a door, two desks (one for writing, reading, and meetings, and one for typing), and as much space as my boss had at my last job. (I'm not counting the two-day interlude at IPA.) The euphoria from this will probably propel me through at least Christmas.

It helps that the people are very nice; I was taken to lunch and people have been stopping by as I type this to say goodnight and ask how I enjoyed my first day. I can hardly contain my excitement. (I realize as I write this that it sounds like a letter Josh Malina would have written on Sports Night.)

In retrospect, the stop at IPA was a very good thing. It showed me what I want in a job and made me far more committed to getting this one. Quitting IPA was an even better thing; if I had stayed one more day I wouldn't have taken the call or scheduled the interview that got me this job. Sometimes things really do happen for a reason.

No comments: