Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Independence Day? More Like Columbus Day

I know that reality has been suspended on The West Wing . Nevertheless, wasn't it a bit strange that tonight's episode took place on the Fourth of July? I suppose they're maintaining the internal integrity of the show.

This episode was a slight improvement over the last two. While the horse montage that ran through the show was a bit much, the pacing of the conversations picked up, and the characters are back to thinking about issues and making us think with them. CJ's troubles with Bartlet's actions will hopefully mean a meatier role for her as the season goes on. Again, though, I must ask: Where is Danny? He's the one who brought Sharif to CJ's attention in the first place. I hope Wells hasn't let his character fade from the show in favor of this obnoxious new intern, Ryan.

Also, I'm glad William Devane won't be the VP, but I thought Gary Cole fell flat as "Bingo Bob." If he's going to get what he asks for--more access and involvement than Hoynes--I hope the writers make his character as intriguing as he promised to be in his little speech to Bartlet about confounding expectations.

Finally, I'm glad Charlie finally got a line. The conflicted face of Dule Hill as he told Bartlet to send Zoey to New Hampshire spoke volumes, but he deserves to speak with his mouth once in a while.

No comments: