Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Ouch! That Stings...

The last few weeks have heralded the start of the Christmas CD season. Thus far I've behaved myself. Rufus Wainwright's new CD is on its way from Amazon, and today I went to Best Buy to consider this week's offerings. For the first time since the early '90s, I couldn't bring myself to buy a Sting CD. Even for $10, I don't think I want to own Sacred Love . But please, correct me if I've made a mistake.

I did buy Dido's new album, Life for Rent . I was sucked in the first time I heard the lead single, "White Flag," which is so accessible and yet so mournful that I can't help but be impressed. So far the whole disc holds up well. It's only $9.99 at Best Buy until Saturday.

If you don't have any Bonnie Raitt albums, I'd also recommend the new Best Of collection, out this week. Only two weeks until Clay Aiken's album! What new releases are you waiting for?

Also at Best Buy, I saw the new SACD versions of 15 of Bob Dylan's best albums. Oh, it was close--I want to own them badly. But I lack the SACD player to make it worthwhile. Does anyone have SACD capability? Is there a way to get it that doesn't cost $800?

No comments: