Monday, October 06, 2003

The Same Old Song

Once again I have a second interview for a job, this time on Wednesday for a job here. After all these interviews, I'm more nervous about my round of golf tomorrow than discussing a job, but wish me luck anyhow. This would be a good job to get.

I caved in and bought the new Sting album. So far it's OK, but not a revelation. His duet with Mary J. Blige is excellent, but there's a lot of filler, many of the songs are too long, and some of the album sounds like Sting plagiarizing himself. Alas.

The new Rufus Wainwright CD, Want One , is more promising. The opening track, "Oh What a World," borrows from Bolero, and that's just the start of the fun. The lyrics are interesting, the music is strikingly good and executed with obvious skill, and the album as a whole feels shorter than Sting's--but is, in fact, longer. It's just a more enjoyable way to spend time.

No comments: