Thursday, October 30, 2003

That Was An Improvement

Last night's episode was far better than the previews would indicate, which makes me think NBC is promoting the show in an attempt to win a new fan base while trying, somewhat, to maintain the things that current fans enjoy while assuming they'll tune in. I have to admit, grudgingly, that this is a pretty good strategy.

I still don't like that Leo is turning into Mr. Evil. The "Us against the rest" feel of the principal cast is being put aside for some pretty serious rancor. I thought CJ was going to scream at Leo, and Will practically did shout at Toby before he decided to work for Bingo Bob. (I wonder what that choice means for Josh Malina's role on the show?)

Anyone who's paid attention knows what I liked the most, though: Amy left, and that's got to be a good thing. I especially liked how selfless Donna was: she was obvious about her feelings for Josh when she told him how good he looked, but she also tried to get him to treat Amy well and didn't nag him about his birthday. The writers remembered the promise Sorkin made last year when he put the words, "You've got to get Josh" in Donna's mouth--she's the one who gets him, both in the mental sense and, eventually, the romantic one.

Let's just hope Josh can dig himself out of the very Sorkin-esque mess he's in--I think his problems with the Idaho senator were the thing that made this episode enjoyable. The juxtaposition at the end--huge failure and happy birthday--was the kind of thing I would have expected in season two. Credit is due: good work, Mr. Wells.

Now, please don't make the rest of sweeps month revolve around a tornado.

No comments: