Thursday, April 15, 2004

Flawed Democracy

American Idol gives too much power to the People

The author of the article above believes that something must be done about the way that Idol voting tends to reward performers who can attract a small but rabid fan base of people who will vote for them 700 or 800 times. Yes, I voted four times for Fantasia last night, but only because I watched the show later on tape, the phone lines were clear, and I had to watch the performance twice to realize its full depth. I, and those of you reading this, would never devote a full night to hitting redial to keep a geeky red-headed crooner in the competition.

Her suggestion is actually the way I thought Idol worked until I started watching it: let people vote people off the island rather than voting to keep someone. Why should I have to vote for Fantasia, Jennifer, La Toya, and George every week? I should be able to vote (maybe twice) for the demise of Jon Peter Lewis and be done with it. I know that such a system would mean I'd lose my beloved Fantasia sooner--she inspires more love than any competitor in this week's poll, but also tends to draw more viewer wrath from those who don't like her antics--but it would be worth it to keep the show from being taken over by untalented high school sophomores. And let's face it--part of the appeal of the show, at least in the beginning stages, is to watch Simon spew bile about the auditions and early competitors who don't measure up. Wouldn't you enjoy the chance to back up your own bile with a vote against the person you can't stand rather than votes for all the people who annoy you less?

Come to think of it, this may not be a bad way to run the U.S. presidential election!

No comments: