Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Mixed Blessing

House Passes Tax Cuts for Married Couples

Don't get me wrong, my friends--especially my married ones. I think this is great news; you shouldn't pay more taxes because you're married, and I hope that if one day the powers that be see fit to allow me to marry, I won't pay more taxes for the privilege, either. But consider this from the linked article: John Tanner, D-Tenn., said future generations can expect to pay higher taxes due to today's tax cuts and budget deficits. "You all are witnessing a generational mugging," he said.

It's all too true, and if you read the article you'll see that sane proposals to help offset the costs of this tax cut (which is really a tax cut extension--it's been part of the law since 2001, and came up for renewal now) were rejected by Republicans, who march in lockstep against any suggestion that taxes be raised on anyone, especially those who make more than $1 million. Meanwhile, the alternative minimum tax wipes out most of the positive impact for taxpayers--in a fashion that one Slate writer notes is suspicious in its sweeping impact on blue states--and the G.O.P. is unwilling to talk about it. As we all know, I'm all for raising taxes, but not in the draconian way that the AMT will do it, hammering more people, year after year, until we fix it. Our convoluted system of deductions, like it or not, exists for a reason, and letting the AMT wipe that system out for more and more people isn't a sound way to conduct our nation's business.

Because I've voluntarily chosen to refrain from screeds on gay marriage, I won't detail the paroxysms of anger I feel when I realize that this tax cut, like every other aspect of marriage law, is held sacrosanct--we must uphold the sanctity of the marriage penalty, mustn't we? But I will mention that I attended my local Human Rights Campaign Meetup last night, the first one to be held--you may have noticed the logo right below the one for my beloved Timberwolves, who have a chance Friday to show all the naysayers they can win a playoff series. Anyhow...because one of the goals we at the table established for our next meeting--on May 25--was to double our attendance, I invite any of you interested in helping the cause of equality to join us at the next North Suburban Chicago Meetup, or to attend whatever Meetup happens nearest to you. Straight or gay, if you oppose the Federal Marriage Amendment and want to do something about it, you'll be welcomed with open arms.

No comments: