Friday, April 23, 2004

Private Matters

Yesterday was a day for new things: a new CD, a new episode of Friends, and a new e-mail address.

Prince's new album, Musicology was the new CD; after a few listens, I can say that it sounds, to my novice ears, just like Prince should. It's nice to have something new and funky from the man in purple.

The new episode was a sad event. The writers are wrapping things up, obviously; we said goodbye to Janice with, appropriately, an awkward kiss, and Estelle's death gave Phoebe and Joey something to do for the episode while setting the stage for Joey's big break, the one that will propel him to L.A. in time for the start of his own show next fall.

But the episode's thrust, and the show's at this point, is clearly to complete the arc of Ross and Rachel, and they've left things at a point that is very frustrating. On one hand, it seems like nothing happened--Rachel was leaving for Paris at the start of the episode, and after all Ross's crazy machinations to get her back in her job at Ralph Lauren, she's still leaving. But we've seen how much Ross wants to be near her--he said he couldn't imagine not being able to see her every day--and also how much he wants her to be happy--enough to send her to Paris despite the pain it will cause him. In the 66 minutes or so of sitcom time that remain, I hope this growth brings them back together. Life may not always work out the way that it should, but I don't think the end of Friends can come without putting Ross and Rachel where they belong.

And now, the most exciting news: I've been granted a place among the beta-testers of GMail. I've got room for a gigabyte of messages, so feel free to write me at RMN21879@gmail.com. So far, it looks to be the most functional web-based e-mail interface I've ever used. I haven't yet seen the vaunted--and feared--targeted ads. I'll let you know when I do.

No comments: