Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Game Afoot

Kerry Gets Early Newspaper Endorsement

Is it really only June? Ask the Philadelphia Daily News, which has already endorsed John Kerry for president, calling on voters in Philadelphia to encourage their friends to register to vote so the heavily-Democratic area can tilt the swing state of Pennsylvania into the Kerry column. I appreciate the sentiment, but I worry that it leaves the paper open to charges of ABB--Anybody But Bush. And while I think that's a perfectly plausible reason to endorse Kerry, after the convention I'm sure he'll have a more defined platform on which to run--and on which to be endorsed. I hope this doesn't start a trend. Encourage people to register, definitely; that much should be automatic. But an endorsement will do Kerry a lot more good in October.

No comments: