Friday, June 11, 2004

Remembrance

A widow's heartfelt farewell

I've clubbed Ronald Reagan's legacy into the ground all week, and I could go on; Fred Kaplan's piece in Slate demonstrates yet another important area in which Reagan was short-sighted. But today I'd like, instead, to say how sad I am for Nancy Reagan, whose body language this week shows how devoted she was to her husband and how devastated she is to be going on without him. When I see her standing there, touching the casket that holds the man she loved for half a century, I can't help but imagine the pain I would feel in a similar circumstance. We don't agree about much, Nancy--though I'm looking forward to your advocacy for stem-cell research. But today, my heart is with you.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Ahh so the tin man does get his heart at the end! ;)