Monday, January 03, 2005

Asleep at the Wheel

Late-season woes makes playoff berth bittersweet for Minnesota

Happy New Year!

Owning an HDTV has made me the last thing I thought I'd become: an NFL fan. Anyone who's seen a football game broadcast in high definition understands why. Sports, particularly football, look so good in HD that it feels wrong not to watch. Heck, I flipped on a boxing match last night just to see the incredible detail. You've never seen sweat like this, I tell you.

Anyhow, all this football watching and my former Minnesota residence make me feel qualified to comment on the spectacular collapse of the Vikings this season. My comment is this: Don't count them out. Yes, they've played miserable defense as they've found a way to lose seven of ten after a 5-1 start. And yes, the Packers have twice beaten them 34-31 and have home-field advantage next weekend. But the Vikings have the tools to outscore Green Bay, and a franchise history of embarrassment this decade to motivate them to do so. There's no reason to think that Culpepper and Moss and Burleson won't choose this week to put it all together, or that Culpepper wouldn't like to take out the fact that his stellar season was ignored (he led the league in passing yards and threw for 39 touchdowns, not that anyone noticed) on one of the other quarterbacks whose record breaking (for consecutive starts) distracted fans and the media.

I'm not saying this will be a blowout, but don't be surprised if, come next Monday, it's the Vikes headed to Philly and the Rams headed to Atlanta despite the fact that they're on the road. In this crazy year for the NFC, what could be more fitting than two 8-8 teams advancing in the playoffs?

No comments: