Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Change of Heart

Gays applaud discrimination ban

I'm pretty hard on Republicans, but today I'd like to applaud two. First, Rep. Suzie Bassi, who represents me in the Illinois House. She voted for the non-discrimination bill, and in fact faced a primary challenge because of her support for it in the past. To be a Republican facing a primary challenge from the right and stick to your guns on an issue that enrages your base takes courage.

Second, I'd like to note the actions of Rep. Joe Dunn:
Naperville Republican state Rep. Joe Dunn also supported the legislation although he said he'd fully planned to vote against it. Dunn said he was so put off by the tone of his fellow Republicans' opposition that he cast a "yes" vote.

"Politically, for me this is a horrible bill. A 'no' vote would have been so much easier," said Dunn. "But I think I would have just been copping out and I didn't come here just to always take the easy vote."

Dunn's predecessor, state Rep. Mary Lou Cowlishaw, also a Naperville Republican, voted against such legislation, so Dunn's move gave supporters an unexpected vote.

"I just can't tolerate discrimination and hatred and intolerance and, really, I was prepared to vote 'no' when I walked onto the floor today," said Dunn. "But when I listened to the arguments of why we should be voting against this bill, they seemed to be so intolerant of people."
Dunn's words provide a good reminder: those who oppose equality are often their own worst enemies. Their irrational hatred turns off two people for every wingnut to whom it appeals. I'm glad--and grateful--that Dunn and Bassi have chosen not to be associated with the vile spewings of many of their Republican colleagues.

Consider this my "nice" post about the G.O.P. for the year.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Um, no, I haven't. The behemoth is on the shelf, waiting for my attention. I'm almost done with The Line of Beauty, after which I need to race through Collapse, the new Jared Diamond book, all 575 pages of it, during the library's two-week new-book checkout period. After that...I'm hoping I'll be able to start on Strange, and also on the Dylan autobiography. If only I didn't have to go to work...or could get a job as a book reviewer!