Monday, January 31, 2005

Deplorable

First Amendment no big deal, students say
Study shows American teenagers indifferent to freedoms


I tell you, this makes me feel like walking outside and burning a flag.

OK, not really. But how can people--even teenagers--be so unconcerned with freedom of speech? I mean, how scary is this:
...when told of the exact text of the First Amendment, more than one in three high school students said it goes “too far” in the rights it guarantees. Only half of the students said newspapers should be allowed to publish freely without government approval of stories.
I'm so glad I started my master's program in journalism this weekend.

2 comments:

Zaki said...

What's astounding is that we both posted about this story within 20 minutes of each other. That's nuts. Anyway, as always, good reading.

Victoria said...

Heh - this was mentioned in Contracts (I think) today - well - it was one of my classes.

I'd say, go burn that flag. It's not against the law. ;)

And congrats on starting the Masters!