Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Delayed Romance

Pazz & Jop 2004

I'm still not ready to make the final call on 2004's albums, and probably won't be for a while. Every once in a while I whittle the list in the sidebar a bit further as I prepare to choose a final slate of 10 or 12 albums from last year.

In a sign that I'm officially tardy at the task, the Village Voice has finally published its annual Pazz & Jop poll. The top ten albums should look pretty familiar to anyone who's been following music:
10. Danger Mouse, The Grey Album
9. Modest Mouse, Good News for People Who Love Bad News
8. U2, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
7. Streets, A Grand Don't Come for Free
6. Arcade Fire, Funeral
5. Green Day, American Idiot
4. Franz Ferdinand, Franz Ferdinand
3. Loretta Lynn, Van Lear Rose
2. Brian Wilson, Smile
1. Kanye West, The College Dropout

I own seven of those. Four made my initial top ten, and four will likely make the new one--but not the same four. Any guesses what might change?

No comments: