Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Shutting Down

Game Off! NHL Cancels Remainder of Season

And no one cares. I don't think the fact that there hasn't been hockey all season has changed my life one bit. I don't think it's impacted yours much, either.

If you're reading this, though, here's something that might have a minor impact: This will be my last post for a week. Tomorrow I leave for New Orleans, home of this year's iteration of my employer's Annual Meeting. I return late Tuesday night and report for jury dury at the wretched 26th and California courthouse on Wednesday morning.

What will you be missing as a result?
  • A post about the fact that I'm turning 26 on Friday, questioning what this age means, how it should be classified (late-mid-twenties, as opposed to next year's early-late-twenties?), and whether I'm at a point in my life anything like I thought I'd be.
  • A post gloating that I've passed number 4,000 in the Amazon rankings, though I'm currently at 4,133 after a recent surge out of the 5,000s. I'm sure a few of you will vote for my review of Blink or Collapse--or undershirts--to put me over as a birthday gift.
  • A post contemplating all the different parts of the Mississippi River I've seen, with a thorough list of all the bridges I've used to cross it, including at least six in Minnesota, two between Illinois and Missouri, six between Illinois and Iowa, and one between Wisconsin and Minnesota. (I don't think I'll cross the river even once during my time in New Orleans, but the convention center does overlook it, and I should be able to see it from my hotel.)
On the whole, I'd say I stand to lose a lot more (my weekend) than you do because of my absence, wouldn't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy bithday, EIC. And I'm right there with you on the whole "26-mid-twenties/late twenties" issue.

Oh, and if you ever do get serious about the Mississippi River bridge stuff, let me know. That would be something I'd be interested in compiling with you.