Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The End of Everything

Queer as Folk Goes Out

Bomb after bomb after bomb has been dropping on my TV viewing habits. Friends and Sex and the City went away last year. We already know that Six Feet Under and The Sopranos each have one season left. And no matter what happens with the election on The West Wing, even if I keep watching it, it's not going to be the same.

The news that Queer as Folk will end this summer is thus doubly painful. The show is trashy at times, but over the course of four seasons I've fallen for the characters. I want to know how things work out between Justin and Brian. I want to find out how Michael and Ben deal with their Canadian marriage. But more than that, I want to see these people on my TV. With QAF and SFU both ending this summer and Will & Grace a shadow of its former self, where will I turn to see gay characters on television?

Sunday nights this summer will be wonderful--an hour each of two of my very favorite shows--but the knowledge that this is the end of both is going to make the fall that follows rather chilly.

No comments: