Thursday, May 12, 2005

Meet My Next Car

Toyota plans hybrid Camry, building it in U.S.

Toyota plans to release this new hybrid in 2006, just as it redesigns the Camry. My 2004 Corolla has plenty of life left in it (she's only got 14,000 miles on her thanks to my short commute), and with the prospect of taking on a mortgage next year, I won't be buying a new car in the next few years. But when I do, I can now pretty well promise that it'll be a hybrid, and considering how reliable my Toyota has been, a Camry would appear to be the logical choice.

Middle age, here I come!

1 comment:

Richard said...

1. The mechanic said the same thing (it's actually only 13,986). I have had the car for 21 and a half months (and changed the oil four times); I should make it to 15,000 or so miles at the two year mark. And yes, this is a very slow pace. I drive six miles to work and six miles home; Jewel is less than a mile away from home, Target and Best Buy are each two blocks from work, and school is even closer to home than work is. If I hadn't driven the car to Minneapolis and back three times and made one round trip to St. Louis, it would be turning 10,000 right now! I plan to drive it until at least 2008, maybe 2009 or 2010, so I won't be forty, but probably thirty or thirty-one. Not bad for a car I bought when I was twenty-four and paid off at twenty-six.

2. My car's name ends in "a" and it would therefore be inappropriate to call it male. And quite a nice gal she is--she only asks to be filled up once a month or so. Unlike an actual marriage, where my car would be the definition of a "sexual camel," this arrangement works out nicely for me!