Thursday, May 19, 2005

Sad, Not Mad

Bye-bye Baby V - American Idol

Poor Vonzell. Idol's most improved contestant got voted off last night, leaving us with the long-predicted Bo-Carrie finale. Is there any question that Bo should win?

But Baby V gave them all a run for their money, didn't she? Her performances Tuesday night weren't her best, but they were still better than Carrie's, and while Vonzell may have missed the soul of "Chain of Fools," it's worth noting that Carrie was smiling as she sang the end of "Crying." That's about as apt a portrait of her as I can imagine--hitting the notes but understanding none of what's coming out of her mouth. Vonzell may not have "gotten" her song on Tuesday as well as Fantasia once did--Barrino's "Chain of Fools" was a growling taunt to the one making her a link in his chain, where Vonzell seemed almost pleased to be in bondage--but she nailed a lot of other songs with emotion and passion, something we've never seen from Carrie.

He wasn't my original pick--I wanted Nadia to win, you'll recall--but Bo is beyond a shadow of a doubt the better of the two finalists, and a loss for him will be only slightly less appalling than a Diana DeGarmo win would have been last year. But it's been an interesting season! I won't be counting Bo's chickens until they hatch next Wednesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I totally think that out of the two girls, Vonzell was definitely my favorite. Yes, Carrie can sing, but Carrie shows no emotion, Carrie has Zip, Zilch, Zero (with Capital Zs!) personality and to me, that is part of what makes you a good performer.

Anyway. . . now I don't know who I'm rooting for. Bo is growing on me, but I still don't think he's all that great.