Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Puppet Sex

DVDs that put it on (and take it all off)

Is there something wrong with me? This is a question I've often asked myself as I choose to see the unrated versions of movies rather than their theatrical release versions. This weekend, for instance, we watched Team America: World Police, complete with a re-inserted scene that consists of two puppets having sex in every conceivable position and partaking in some activities that probably didn't show up much in the Kinsey Report. (We watched Kinsey, too.)

This article confirms that I'm not alone. 86% of those who bought Eurotrip, for instance, bought the unrated version (which features a special menu of all the nude scenes), while fully 90% of American Wedding buyers chose the un-MPAA-ed version. While I'm not endorsing the purchase of either film, I can understand the impulse. If you're going to watch a vapid teen comedy, why impose restrictions on it? That's like having a hot fudge sundae with brownies and whipped cream and caramel and then saying, "No, I won't have any pecans."

This line of thinking could explain why we're a nation of fat perverts. Alas...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian and I watched that this weekend. During that scene, at first we just laughed. Then, when it got a little, um, disturbing, we said, "Ewww." But I wasn't too offended--I agree with you--if you're going to watch a movie like that (from the creators of South Park no less) you have to watch the un-rated version. One last thing to say: "Team America . . . F*** Yeah!"

P.S. We need to get together soon, since this past weekend didn't work out since Brian was in the Lou . . .

Anonymous said...

P.P.S.--Brian and I think you're mad at us since you don't respond to our posts anymore. :(

Richard said...

Not mad--just busy. Brad's been sick for several days, and I've been swamped at work. But we should try to get together sometime in the near future!