Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Upside Down

Was it just me, or was last night's edition of Idol a bit surprising? Simon was forced to blame the band, of all things, for Carrie's bad rendition of "If You Don't Know Me By Now," and Anthony's bold choice to sing the same song as the presumed favorite seemed to pay off; his version was better and the judges all but said so. (I think they could have been kinder to him rather than picking on him for choosing "easy" songs. Carrie chose one of the same "easy" songs and blew it, and her performance of "Sin Wagon" wasn't exactly inspiring.)

I'm worried for Vonzell after last night. If her second song sounded as good as the judges claimed, it wasn't coming through our speakers; her voice was buried in the mix. And Simon was right; Baby V seemed nervous, and I was glad when she was done; I was afraid, after her crying meltdown following her first song, that she would just collaspe into a heap during song two. And what was up with that? I expected Seacrest to ask Vonzell what was troubling her, or explain to us that there were family issues, or something that would have put the crying jag in context. Instead, they left her looking overwhelmed by the pressure, which didn't seem like it was actually the reason for her tears.

As for Bo, his performances were fine as usual, but he's not stirring up any excitement. I may be worn out on his whole schtick. That said, I think he's cruising to the finale.

Anyhow, I hope Carrie finally gets a taste of bottom-dom tonight, though they may not name a bottom two or three at all at this stage. I know Anthony deserves to go based on the cumulative performances, but he was good last night, and I just don't like Carrie anymore--I would leap for joy if she's sent back to Oklahoma tonight. She's going to come out of this thing a star anyhow; I'd prefer not to see her robot face looking out at me during the opening credits for season five.

No comments: