Thursday, January 05, 2006

Roping 'Em In

CNN.com - 'Brokeback' leads SAG Award nominations

At this point, it looks a lot like Jon Stewart will be discussing Brokeback Mountain quite a bit when he hosts the Oscars in early March. Nods this morning for Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Michelle Williams, along with a best ensemble nomination, made the film the leading contender at yet another awards show.

Which makes my own revelation this morning all the more frightening: I'll be out of town on business on Oscar night! Worse yet, it's likely the night of a dinner I can't miss, meaning I won't even be able to camp out in my hotel room to watch.

I haven't missed the Oscars since I started watching them the year Driving Miss Daisy won. I watched the night Silence of the Lambs swept all the big awards, and the night Titanic made its undeserved haul, and the night Shakespeare in Love shocked the world and triumphed over Saving Private Ryan. (I actually shouted with glee at that one.) Nothing has messed with my Oscar-watching.

But this will. Thank goodness for the DVR.

No comments: