Monday, May 10, 2004

Hit Me Up

John Kerry for President

I could have sworn this was supposed to be the week John Kerry didn't ask for money. Obviously I was wrong: this morning I got a call asking me if I could pledge $100 to the campaign. Do they know what I bring home? I finally settled on (another) $25 contribution; feel free to join me above.

That was the second weird phone experience of my morning. The first came at 4:45 when my voice mail chime went off. No one calls at 4:45 unless it's important, I thought, so I checked the message. Suddenly, eerily, I was hearing my own voice: the message was from me to my landlord, from more than a month ago. How did that end up coming back to me--and in the pre-dawn hours of Monday morning?

We went downtown again this weekend to hear the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. It was a night of firsts--first symphonies, that is, as the orchestra played Mahler 1 and Prokofiev 1. The performance was phenomenal, but the highlight of the night was this: on our way to Italian Village last weekend, Brad and I ran into a security guard who needed $6.75 to take the train home; he had lost his wallet. The guy was dressed in uniform and he had a badge--plus, with Brad there, I couldn't pretend I didn't hear him. The guy even said that if we gave him a business card, he'd send the money when he got home, so I gave him one. Fast forward to this weekend: we're headed down Monroe to Italian Village, hoping this time we'll get a table with enough time to eat before the concert (we did, and it was great!), and who do we see? He started his story again, but we cut him off. After insisting that he wasn't the same guy (to which I responded, "You've even got the same badge number"--thank goodness for my freaky memory), he finally grinned and blessed us, caught and grateful that we were able to laugh about it rather than calling over one of the nearby police officers. As we walked away, Brad and I agreed that it was worth seven bucks to catch the guy in his lie.

No comments: