Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Idol Fantasy

In light of Tuesday night's performances on American Idol, allow me to make this public proclamation: if tonight's results show sees the end of Fantasia's run, I will not watch this season's finale. If the voting procedures aren't changed, I will never watch the show again. I tried to vote probably 100 times last night and succeeded exactly once. Either Fantasia was getting so many votes she didn't need mine, or this system is even more fatally flawed than it already appeared.

I wasn't sure if I was overhyping Fantasia in my mind, so I brought a Whitney Houston CD in the car this morning and listened to "The Greatest Love of All," the third song Fantasia sang last night. Clive Davis said last night--to Jasmine, after her botched rendition of "Saving All My Love For You"--that no one can be better than Whitney, but he was wrong. Fantasia's rendition of "Greatest" had more passion, more emotion, more heart, and more excitement than Whitney's. She does more than hit the right notes; she hits the feelings in a song in a way that makes her younger competition look and sound like a couple of virginal robots.

Speaking of which, making Jasmine sing "All By Myself" was a cruel joke. For one thing, La Toya sang the same song earlier in the season (it's available on idolonfox.com, I think) and nailed it. For another thing, lines about when "making love was just for fun" don't sound right coming from her. She's just a kid, plain and simple. Sweet and nice, perhaps, but probably only the sixth or seventh best singer this season. As Simon said, it has to end tonight.

But with folks like this guy around, Fantasia will probably go home tonight. Don't worry, Fantasia. I'll buy your record the day it comes out; so will a million other people. How many people will really want to sit through a whole CD of Jasmine or even Diana?

No comments: