Thursday, August 19, 2004

Pain in the Glute

Girl with digestive disorder denied Communion

Anyone who doubts that the institutional Catholic Church is a bit too intolerant of change should read the article above. No contraception--fine. Marriage for straights only--OK. No abortion or euthanasia--got it. I can understand all of these positions, even as I disagree with all of them. But no communion unless you can stomach wheat? This is a bit too heartless even for the Pope.

Don't believe me? Take it from eight-year-old Haley, who says, "I'm on a gluten-free diet because I can’t have wheat. I could die." In the face of this, her mother's reaction strikes me as a bit silly: "I'm hopeful. Do I think it will be a long road to change? Yes. But I’m raising an awareness and I’m taking it one step at a time."

That's crazy. This is all crazy. Now I say sacrament, schmacrament, but this little girl clearly wants to participate in the traditions of her family's church, and I think we can all understand that. To tell her she's not really doing so because the communion wafer might kill her is cruel.

Not enough? Fine. I leave you with this gem:

The church has similar rules for Communion wine. For alcoholics, the church allows a substitute for wine under some circumstances, however the drink must still be fermented from grapes and contain some alcohol. Grape juice is not a valid substitute.
Something tells me we're at the end of the line for Catholicism.

No comments: