Friday, March 11, 2005

Mental Lapse

History for Dummies - The troubling popularity of The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History

I have the Go-Go's song "Vacation" running through my head right now. For that reason, I'm not going to bother with a lengthy explanation of why the piece above is interesting. But if you read it, and then read this piece from the Columbia Journalism Review, entitled "Let’s Blame the Readers," I think you'll get the general drift of what I've been thinking about this afternoon. I can sum it up with one question: Why are people so damned unwilling to think? And a second question: Why do they also feel suspicious about anyone who does bother to think?

I've been asking that pair of questions for almost nine years now. They were the central questions behind the monthly newspaper column I wrote in high school and the column I wrote in college. I still don't get it.

But in less than 24 hours, I won't be asking such questions. I'll be tilting my seat back into a comfortable position, eating a tiny bag of pretzels off a tray table, and watching the snow disappear as my flight travels south, toward 80-degree temperatures, the brand-new house of a pair of good friends, and some incredible food. You'll likely have to go without my random commentary and American Idol observations for a week. Enjoy the break--I know I will.

Lindsey Cardinale leaves Wednesday.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. See you soon!

No comments: