Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Demographic Flip

Kansas Voters Approve Gay Marriage Ban

The news comes as no surprise. What is surprising is this:
Some Kansas voters, like 24-year-old Eric Hetzel, saw the amendment as a way to protect the traditional definition of marriage, enshrined in Kansas law since 1867, from legal challenges.

"I am a Christian," Hetzel said. "I believe in the Bible and what it says that marriage is between a man and a woman."

But Byron Defreese, a 65-year-old retiree, called the amendment "total foolishness."

"I don't know how this is going to defend my marriage of 43 years," he said. "I think it's a diversion from the real issues."
Aren't young people supposed to be the ones who heavily support gay rights? Aren't the elderly supposed to be the people standing in the way?

And people wonder why I hate religion.

No comments: