Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Stomp, Stomp, Stomp

That headline is me crushing a cockroach, in this case Scott Savol, whose time must finally be up after last night's dreadful performance. Every week before this one, there has been someone else whose showing competed with Scott for worst-of-the-night honors; this week it wasn't even close. Scott will be dancing with his father by Thursday morning.

The others put on an interesting show, though. Carrie picked a song she loves--and fell fairly flat. Constantine picked a song he loves--and fell fairly flat, too. Anthony picked a terrible song that he happens to love--and fell flat. None of the three were as bad as Scott, but any of them were bad enough to be bottom-three worthy.

Vonzell and Bo stepped up to the plate, however. Bo's clever song choice--Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Wanna Be" is also the theme song to One Tree Hill, a staple of text-messaging teens everywhere--was marred only by those damned sunglasses, as his performance was spot-on. And while I cringed at the start of Vonzell's rendition of a Christina Aguilera softie, "I Turn To You," she found a way to make the song her own. If either Bice or Solomon go home tonight I'll be very disappointed in America.

But that would be true of anyone but Scott this week. Last year it was John Stevens who left in the six slot, finally ending an inexplicable run of good fortune and bad singing. This has got to be Savol's time to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I have to say that I don't agree with many Idol fans about Bo. I don't think he's all that great. I thought his performance last night was okay--he put way too much vibrato into his voice, to the point where it sounded like he was shaking uncontrollably while he sang. Brian is a fan though--personally my picks for #1 are Carrie or Vonzell.

Zaki said...

Say what you will, but I was a Constantine fan. There is no way he did a worse job than Scott. I'm utterly baffled with this one.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's all I can say about last night's show. I was stunned. Shocked. Not that I'm a huge Constantine fan, but I don't think he deserved to go home more than Scott. Do you ever think that the show is fixed and that they do this to keep us watching? Hmm . . .