Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I Love Capitalism

Google unveils satellite map feature

Why would I use such a title? Because the war for dominance among the search engines has been all good news for users. Huge e-mail accounts, free of charge; ever-improving search results, free of charge; and now, after maps that pinpointed nearby businesses and maps that display traffic conditions, we have a free mapping tool that uses satellite photos. If you don't think that's cool, try it. Enter your address, and when the regular map appears, click on the "Satellite" link in the upper-right corner. It's your neighborhood! Zoom in--it's your street! Look, isn't that the pool the neighbors put in last year?

And I can imagine how useful this will be when we start looking for a house. Does the neighborhood have a lot of trees? Large lots? Narrow streets? Wide easements? Nearby parks? These are questions a map doesn't quite answer. I think I'm in love.

No comments: