Thursday, October 13, 2005

Trifecta

Canada's Nickelback 'Right' on top of U.S. charts

No, I didn't buy the new Nickelback album. But I did buy three new albums last week that found their way into the top 15 on the charts. Melissa Etheridge's Greatest Hits album, a very listenable retrospective that gives me a new respect for her early career, debuted at number 14. The second album from Franz Ferdinand, which features hook after hook after irresistable hook, started off at number 8. And the third album from Fiona Apple, the much-delayed Extraordinary Machine, debuted at number 7, her highest chart position ever.

Allow me to say this about Fiona: Her last album was my favorite in a year, 1999, that saw the release of many albums I hold dear and consider the pinnacle of work for the artists who released them. This new album, I think, may endear itself even more to my ear and my heart. There are a few albums on the sidebar for this year that I'd advise almost anyone with an interest in hearing new music to buy--the new Sufjan Stevens, Antony and the Johnsons, Martha Wainwright's debut, the aforementioned Etheridge compilation--but so far, Fiona is my can't miss pick. When the 2005 top ten list comes out a few months from now and she's on top, don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments: