Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Finally, a Recall I Can Support

The Public? Let’s Recall It

I thought putting up links to George Will was sort of like giving equal time to opposing views, but behold: for the second time in as many weeks Will is taking Republicans to task for their "situational ethics," and he explains the "tawdry reason" why Republicans have changed their views in yet another arena. This time it's about a topic that I think most people don't understand (I know I didn't): the voluntary $3 check-off on your tax return to fund presidential campaigns. Will's perspective on this--that it amounts to a small minority of taxpayers funneling more and more of everyone's money to a purpose a vast majority doesn't want--is interesting, if perhaps a bit disingenuous in ignoring the confusion of filling out a 1040 that probably stops a lot of people from checking another box they don't really understand.

By the way, if the comments seem to go haywire occasionally, I apologize--I know some people have posted comments over and over because they don't seem to be working. My comment provider is doing some updates right now. Hopefully things will be more stable in the near future. Keep commenting!

No comments: