Thursday, August 07, 2003

Stalled Out

Here's a poll for all of you:

When you interview with a company twice, and both interviews seem to go well, and they check your references, who report that the conversations were both long and overwhelmingly positive, and the company tells you--more than a week later, at the time that they said they would give you a yes or no answer--that you're still being considered, but they'll be interviewing additional candidates next week, is this:
A) Good news: At least you still have a shot
B) Bad news: They're playing games with you and using you as a backup
C) Terrible news: You're still in the running, but they obviously aren't over the moon for you or they wouldn't be bringing in more people more than a month after inviting you to interview.
D) Even worse news: You're barely in the running for a job at a company that isn't excited enough about working with you to hire you without searching high and low for someone else first, and they don't keep their promises to contact you and keep you up-to-date about your status to boot.

Obviously it's a bitter day for me. I really thought this job was mine--everything went well, I was qualified, and I know I "clicked" with at least one of the people I met with during the interviewing process. It even sounded like a fun job! Now, even if they DO end up hiring me, I know there will be, at least at the start, a slightly bad taste in my mouth from the drawn-out process that I went through to get the job.

So here's another poll: Blockbuster or McDonald's? Where should I go beg for a part-time job?

No comments: